I started a blog in January of this year, because I wanted to share my passion for child development. I also wanted to explore this possibility of making money from it. Blogging has been fun, and I have met a lot of great people! In addition, I’m just beginning to make some money from it. Even so, I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go. But, I have found that I very much enjoy writing and sharing my knowledge with new and experienced parents.
Blogging can be very fulfilling and potentially lucrative for people. The one thing you do have to have in order to remain motivated is a passion for the topic that you are writing about. If you don’t have passion for it, this will show in your writing and sooner or later, the motivation you once had will likely disappear.
One misconception about blogging that I have heard and read about many times is that you have to be an expert to start a blog. This is not true at all. For example, I am by no means an expert at parenting, but this is a topic I write about. I have had many experiences parenting my little girl, and this includes mistakes I have made along the way too. I do write about some of these mistakes if they are relevant to the blog post topic. People WANT personal experiences and stories. They do not want to read a blog that is completely scientific.
When considering whether or not you should start a blog, consider your reasons and why you want to do so it. I did it, because I have a passion for writing and sharing my knowledge, but I also wanted to make money. In addition, I wanted to find a way to supplement my income from home.
Once you decide if you should start a blog, these are the steps you should take.
1. Pick a blog niche/topic. I think your topic will depend somewhat on your reasons for blogging. If you want to make money from your blog, I would go with a niche that is more likely to be profitable. In terms of the most profitable niches, one article stated that these were the top 6 most profitable blog niches: Marketing, Mommy, Travel, Personal Finance, Lifestyle, and Food.
You may have a solid idea of what you want to do, or you may be struggling with what you want to write about. If you are, check out this article: How to Choose the Perfect Niche.
2. Get hosting. In order to get your blog online, you need blog hosting and blogging software (will get to this in a minute). According to Blog Starter, “A blog host is a company that stores all of the files for your blog and delivers them to the user.” I personally recommend HostGator for these reasons:
Plans start at $2.75 a month. You can sign up using my link: HostGator.
Disclosure: If you click on the link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
For help signing up for web hosting, click on this link: New account sign up.
The Hatchling Plan is great for those just starting out with blogging! And until October 24th, it’s on sale for $1.42 a month!
When you sign up for web hosting through HostGator, you will also register your domain name. Thus, you will need to have a name for your blog and website. When you do this, make sure it incorporates your niche and it is unique. In my case, I chose www.nurturingtamra.com. I wanted to brand myself as someone who focuses on how to be a more nurturing parent.
3. Install WordPress. You can use Hostgator’s website builder, but I would highly suggest using WordPress, as this is a hugely popular blogging platform! It’s also easy to use.
You can follow this video in order to install WordPress, or you can follow the steps below.
After you have purchased hosting, you should have received an email with your cPanel username and password. This is what you will use to manage your web hosting. I would suggest bookmarking this page, since this cPanel link is unique to you.
The first step is to log into your cPanel and click on the Quick install icon.
After you have clicked on this icon, you will see an option to instill WordPress for free.
Then, click on the install WordPress button and fill out the form.
1. This is the base domain for your installation.
2. This is the sub-directory you would like the site to load from, but this is only if you want it. So, this part is optional.
3. For this part, enter a working email address where you want the admin password to be sent to.
4. Enter the name of your website.
5. For admin-username, type in your preferred username.
6.Your first name.
7.Your last name.
8. Click install WordPress when you are ready.
There will be a progress bar at the top of the page that will let you know when the installation of WordPress is complete. Once this happens, you can start with the fun part of setting up your site! Be sure to check your email to get your WordPress username and password, as well as the link to your WordPress dashboard.
To learn more about the WordPress dashboard, see this guide: Ins and Outs of the WordPress Dashboard
4. Write your First Blog Post! Once you have your WordPress site set up, you can start working on your first blog post. Congrats on beginning your new adventure into blogging!
Blogging is a fun adventure, and I have learned so many new things along the way. My advice to you is to read as much as you can about blogging and keep in mind that it’s a continual learning process. Also, know that it takes some time to gain momentum on your new blog.
Also, don’t forget to work on your social media pages, as these are places you can promote your blog and gain new followers! Pinterest is great when it comes to promoting your blog!
I hope you enjoy your new journey! 🙂
If you like this post, please share it!
Follow me on social media: